Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Just Old Enough



Last week the kindergarten class from York Avenue Elementary School trekked to Manna on Main Street. With wagons in tow, they brought canned goods to donate to our food pantry. It's always fun to listen to young children who visit us and watch them respond to sights and smells of a soup kitchen.

I asked them a question: how old do you think you have to be to volunteer at Manna. Hands went up slowly, and they answered very seriously - 44 years old... 46... an adult. I responded with the same serious tone: they had to be at least 5 years old.

Faces brightened and hands shot in the air. "I'm 5" - "I'm 5 too" - "I'm 5". I told them how simple is was to volunteer, to give back to the community. They could carry a plate of food to someone at Manna. They could get someone a drink of water. They could cook something at home with their family and bring it in to serve.

They seemed satisfied with that, that giving back does not have to be complicated. Maybe they will remember to tell their parents.

No comments: